Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting in preschools in Japan

As for my second son, he was born in Japan and taken back when I finished my study. After two years, I rejoined my school for a doctoral program. My husband was studying while I was back with my little son. He stayed with older one, I stayed with the little one. After 1 year and 8 months we rejoined in Japan. My second son was about 2 years. We went to a ward office to apply for preschools, but they rejected our offer at least for a half year. My husband and I had to go to school, that was really tough. Somehow we have managed it, and we have received the letter of rejection to preschool. My husband went there and he was earnestly requested preschool vacancy explaining how we spent last 6 months. Luckily they have listened him and they promised to consider it. After two weeks in mid of March we have received acceptance letter for a preschool. We were so happy.

Entering in preschool in Japan was so difficult. They always claim that what the mother is going to do, how about the father, what about the grandparents etc.? Basically, it is strongly assumed that a child should be born in a family where its mother stays at home. In fact, Japanese wives are staying at home when they got married. No matter how the their job is important, how much they earn, they just quit when they got married. So may be that is why the public service on preschool is very limited.

Once, your child gets in it, the service is very good. Well that is all for today. Seems, too short, but most of the blogs are very short. By the way, the service about the preschool is bigger topic. I will talk about it separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment